Thursday, August 11, 2005

Mad World

Today, as I stood behind the counter at the gym I work at, a very surreal moment began. For no real explainable reason, the music in the club transitioned from loud, pulsating, house beats to the slow, melodic, unplugged Gary Jules singing Mad World. If you are unfamiliar with this song, it's chorus goes something like this:

And I find it kind of funny.
I find it kind of sad.
The dreams in which I'm dying,
Are the best I've ever had.
I find it hard to tell you.
I find it hard to take.
When people run in circles,
It's a very, very,
Mad World.

The song floated around the gym and I attempted to follow it. My eyes glanced around and, from my view, I could see the entire bank of running equipment. People using treadmills and elliptical machines. Their pace never changed. Their gait never waivered. This insanely depressing song had flooded the gym, poured into eardrums, and begged to be heard. The
entire mood had changed and no one even noticed the difference. An army of people doing cardio just like every other day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home